Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Beyond Borders: Packing




Hola. I'm off soon for two weeks of adventure in Mexico, a neighbor I've only visited twice, in Baja. I've spent hours pouring over travel books and computer research, but my story is yet to be written. For me the journey is about the unknown. How do we prepare for something we can only imagine? I can't predict which hour rain will fall, the exact location of our inn or if we'll find one, if we will take the people bus or the deluxe bus for tourists (already a picture appears), if we're making the right choices of what to bring and what to leave behind. However, it is certain I will return with images that capture the true expression of Mexico. My search is for pictures and words that connect us to what we share as humans, the reason I travel. Many of my students and families have immigrated to the U.S.A. from Michoacan, our destination, and I hope to better understand and appreciate their homeland.

I am traveling with my photography buddy and teaching colleague, J. This trip began with an invitation by Gloria, a bilingual assistant in our elementary school, to accompany her to Janamuato, her original home and our first stop. Her parents and many family members still live in this village, near the town of Purandiro. We couldn't pass up the opportunity to meet Gloria's family and to see how and where our students lived before coming to Placerville. And really, we can't wait to discover the photographs and poetry that this colorful country offers.

Stay tuned for the next post of our coming adventures. Hasta Luego. Irene

No comments:

Post a Comment