Monday, February 1, 2010

A shopping cart?

Last week I shopped at Trader Joe's, three subway stops and another 10 blocks away from my home. I purchased more than I could comfortably carry, so with $55 worth of groceries in two bags, and my computer in a backpack, I used muscles I forgot I had. Three days of feeling like I had just started a weight training regimen helped me to rethink the pushing of a cart. Is it just for old people? How old am I anyway? Sixty years ago, my Grandma Eva always used a cart; not driving in the city, she needed a way to schlep her groceries across town. My Mother,  almost 93, still does her own shopping and often takes the bus and her cart, yes, to Trader Joe's by the beach in Southern California. So now, I follow in their footsteps, swallow my pride, reduce my carbon footprint and plan to push a cart back and forth, on the subway and to the market. At least I'll try. (and if the cart doesn't work, maybe a pedi-cab!) Cheers for the invention of the wheel!

2 comments:

  1. Irene,
    Leave your pride behind? Carts are a critical part of the future we all will share. Those early adapters like you will lead the way. We use carts every day at the ranch (wheel barrows, strollers, hay wagons, etc). Look at some of the films predicting the futre (The Road, The Book of Eli, etc) they all feature carts as a major form of transportation. Thanks for sharing and leading.
    Take care,
    Dee & Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know where you are - back in NYC where there are subways and Trader Joes. You're not in Placerville anymore, Toto. Do you take Miles with you shopping? To the park? Always wonderful photos. Our best, BA

    ReplyDelete