Thursday, July 24, 2008

Workers' Rights









I'm reflecting on the meaning of my trip to Mexico, so much more than a photographic journey. I noticed that some of the photos have disappeared from the pages of this blog, but not from my mind. To be a middle class (or higher) American means to enjoy many of the privileges (we call these rights) that others in this country or in many other countries only dream might be their future. Seeing the gap gives meaning to the vocabulary of poverty and indifference. What is the difference between human rights and rights? I am indebted to my Pacific Oaks journey, an awakening. My questions are never-ending.



The photo above is a newspaper pic of the protest on Mexico's Hwy. 15 that stopped traffic and closed the road in both directions for miles, until 6:00 p.m, a real-life lesson in civil rights. Truckloads of soldiers and many emergency vehicles made their way to the sugar cane factory where growers were demanding federal intervention in their negotiations with the manufacturers. At least that is what I can understand from this small article that was placed in the bottom right column on an inner page of the newspaper. Most of this I found out the next day after we sat in traffic for two hours. I wonder if the protest made a difference to the drivers on the road. Most were patient and we didn't hear horns honking or see people angry, but a few cars tried to drive over a gully to get out of the gridlock. A young entrepreneur sold cold sodas during the wait. This protest is the voice that rises. That makes me wonder where my sugar is grown, just another thought about fair trade.


I have everything materially that I need and more. I saw people in Mexico who also are lucky compared to their neighbors, but others who struggle day in and day out. Many are satisfied and have what they need, but the difference in scale between Mexico and America is remarkable, just like the middle class in Vietnam living in very small homes and while they have many of the technological wonders of the world, televisions, cell phones, Internet, the scale of their possessions is so very small compared to ours. Some of us complain about gas prices, but we have cars. Those of us who have worked with children and adults who also struggle daily, know the balance is tipped towards the strong. I quoted Pablo Freire earlier and I will continue to believe that his assessment of the power of education to create voice and change is the reason I have stayed in education so long and have tried in some small way to carry the message that we need to continue working for human rights and a non-violent society.

No comments:

Post a Comment